Mahmoud Abbas: No point in direct talks with Israel now
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas
Netanyahu hasn’t agreed to either demand, and has so far curbed but not frozen settlement activity. He insists negotiations should be held without any preconditions.
Later this week, White House envoy George Mitchell is to meet with Abbas and is expected to lay out some gestures Israel is prepared to make to bring Abbas back to the table, said an Abbas aide.
The Palestinians were not informed about the nature of the gestures, said the aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to brief reporters on the issue. Israeli defense officials said Israel was considering expanding the role of Palestinian security forces in West Bank towns and removing additional checkpoints that hinder the movement of people and goods. They spoke on condition of anonymity because no final decision had been made.
Any decision on resuming talks would not be made without Arab backing, the Abbas aide said. Arab foreign ministers are to discuss the fate of negotiations later this month, he added.
In the absence of direct talks, US envoy George Mitchell has been shuttling between the Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
Abbas said in a speech late Saturday that he has no incentive to resume direct talks.
“We have presented our vision and thoughts and said that if progress is made, we will move to direct talks, but that if no progress is made, it [direct negotiations] will be futile,” Abbas said.
“If they [the Israelis] say ‘come and let’s start negotiations from zero,’ that is futile and pointless’,” Abbas added.
Netanyahu reiterated Sunday that he is ready to move to direct talks immediately. “The goal is to promote the political process and to try to reach a peace settlement,” he said. The condition is guarding Israel’s security scrupulously.”
Netanyahu said in New York last week that if Abbas agreed to sit down with him in direct talks, then a peace agreement could be hammered out within a year.