Soldier detained over leak to RedHack of Reyhanlı bombing documents

May 23, 2013, Thursday/ 20:56:00

A soldier has been detained as part of an investigation into the leak of classified military intelligence documents about tip-offs prior to the Reyhanlı bombings, which killed 51 and wounded dozens on May 11, which were later obtained by the hacker group RedHack (Kızıl Hackerlar) and revealed to the public this week, Turkey’s interior minister said on Thursday.

Interior Minister Muammer Güler said RedHack did not obtain the secret documents following a cyberattack on the computers of a local gendarme intelligence unit in the southern province of Hatay, as was reported, but with the help of a soldier from within the unit.

Deputy Chairman of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Hüseyin Çelik also confirmed the development and said one soldier was detained as part of an investigation into the leaks.

RedHack earlier in the week released a number of classified documents, which included information about the Reyhanlı bombings, suggesting that four vehicles with Syrian license plates had been readied by the radical al-Nusra Front to be sent to Hatay.

Questions over the authenticity of the documents sparked a round of debates in the media and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan portrayed the leak and documents as a mere propaganda campaign when he touched upon the issue at a joint press conference with President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy on Thursday.