Yemeni Interior Minister Abdul Qader Qahtan told state television the death toll was 10, with 15 wounded, some of them in a serious condition. Security officials had earlier put the number of dead at 22.
Police cadets were leaving the academy when the bomber attacked. Unusually, the suicide bomber did not die immediately but was evacuated to hospital by medical staff. He was missing a leg and an arm.
A statement released by the Turkish Foreign Ministry on Wednesday said Turkey strongly condemns this “heinous terror act” and expressed condolences to families of the victims.
Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) claimed the attack, just as it did a similar attack in Sanaa in May, when a suicide bomber in army uniform killed more than 90 people rehearsing for a military parade.
Turkey claimed that the attack aimed at Yemen’s stability and national peace, adding that it is concerned over the fact that the bombing took place during preparations of Yemen National Dialogue Conference on the country’s political transition.
Turkey called on all segments in Yemen to act in unity, solidarity and harmony and said it believes that people will not allow these kind of acts to derail Yemen’s democratic political transition and damage national peace.
The insurgents had been emboldened by a decline in government control over Yemen last year during protests that eventually ousted long-time president Ali Abdullah Saleh, and seized several southern cities before being driven out this year.