NATO apologizes for deaths in Afghan airstrike
The commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan has apologized for civilian deaths in a coalition airstrike earlier this week.
Marine Gen. John Allen flew to Logar province on Friday to personally deliver his regrets to villagers and provincial officials for the deaths of women, children and village elders in Wednesday's pre-dawn raid to capture a Taliban operative. Afghan officials have said the airstrike that was called in by NATO troops during the operation killed 18 civilians.
Allen told the Afghans they "have my apology and we will do the right thing by the families."
It was the first confirmation by NATO forces that civilians were killed.