After going through a medical checkup with a club medic early on Thursday, Emre answered questions from Spanish reporters. Club doctors told the press that Emre is fit and ready to start playing. Later in the afternoon, the 31-year-old midfielder joined the Turkey squad in Portugal's Lisbon.
The midfielder's contract ended this month and he has not yet received an offer from Fenerbahçe. The renowned player had told the press last week that he wants to stay with Fenerbahçe until the club says they don't need him anymore. Atletico Madrid has won the Europa League title twice in the last three years.
The Spanish club signed 25-year-old Turkish international Arda Turan last year. Emre was banned from three games by the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) following allegations that he used a racial slur against Trabzonspor's Didier Zokora. Many criticized Emre after the incident and some sports commentators advised he sign with a foreign team.
The 31-year-old has also played for Inter Milan, Newcastle and Galatasaray.