Turkey strongly condemns allegations of apology to Iran
Turkey has strongly condemned Iranian media reports alleging that Turkey apologized to Iran over a recent criticism by the Turkish prime minister as Iran kept suggesting different venues for a new round of nuclear talks.
A statement released by the Turkish Foreign Ministry denied media reports in Iran claiming that Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu apologized to Iran in a telephone conversation with Saeed Jalili, the secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, over Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's recent criticism of Iran.
Erdoğan last week criticized Iran after Tehran proposed various venues other than İstanbul for upcoming nuclear talks with world powers, saying Tehran is not being honest.
He said Iran's proposal of a new venue was an untenable demand that would sabotage the planned talks. “[Iran] needs to be honest,” Erdoğan said, adding that Iran is constantly losing prestige in the world by not being honest. The Turkish prime minister added that Iran's language is not diplomatic and that speaking in Tehran's manner does not fit his idea of ethics.
The Foreign Ministry statement said the allegations of apology are absolutely not true, strongly condemning the media reports.
Davutoğlu also expressed his concerns to Jalili on Monday. Jalili promised to immediately investigate the matter.