21 September 2011 /TODAY’S ZAMAN WITH WIRES
Twenty-two Libyans who were wounded in clashes between National Transitional Council (NTC) forces and Muammar Gaddafi loyalists have returned to Libya after being treated in various hospitals in İstanbul, the Anatolia news agency reported. The group departed from Atatürk Airport in İstanbul for Benghazi on Wednesday on board a military cargo ship.
Before his departure, Ali Deyfullah, who was shot in the leg by snipers in the city of Al Beyda east of Benghazi, said that the opposition had suffered a lot in the fight against the Gaddafi regime. Deyfullah said he received the first part of his treatment in İstanbul and that he would come again to Turkey one month later. “I would like to thank Turkish officials for their help. They did their best for us. We also thank the Turkish doctors,” he was quoted as saying by Anatolia. Ankara has so far provided the NTC with $300 million in cash, loans and other aid. In April, a Turkish ferry rescued hundreds of wounded Libyans and their families from the besieged Libyan city of Misrata and Benghazi.