16 April 2014, Wednesday
Today's Zaman

ATK report saying Şahin not capable of committing crime based on wrong file

1 January 2011, Saturday /TODAY'S ZAMAN
A recent report prepared by the Council of Forensic Medicine (ATK) on İbrahim Şahin -- the former head of the National Police Department's Special Operations Unit and a suspected member of the Ergenekon gang -- that said Şahin was mentally incapable of committing a crime has been found to have been based on the file of another convict with the same name.

An ongoing investigation is set to determine whether the ATK report was a result of a simple mistake or if ATK officials actually prepared the report to save Şahin from prison.

The İstanbul 13th High Criminal Court -- which is hearing the case into the shadowy Ergenekon network, accused of planning to overthrow the government -- sent Şahin to the ATK for a medical exam in July. The exam report was to be decisive over whether Şahin would continue to stand trial for Ergenekon membership. An earlier ATK report had stated that Şahin was mentally sound and that there were no obstacles preventing him from standing trial. Şahin's lawyers, however, objected to the report, and asked the ATK to re-examine him.

The second ATK examination, also conducted in July, concluded that Şahin was not mentally sound and that he was not capable of committing a crime. The council forwarded the report to the İstanbul 13th High Criminal Court. Suspicious of the contradiction between the two ATK reports, the İstanbul court ordered an investigation into the reports.

The preliminary findings of the investigation were leaked to the press. According to the findings, the second ATK report was based on the examination of a different suspect, who is currently standing trial at the Kadıköy Courthouse in İstanbul and is charged with a separate crime. The suspect is also named İbrahim Şahin.

Şahin gained notoriety in the Susurluk case, a car crash that revealed gang involvement with the police force. He was sentenced to six years in prison and barred from public service in the Susurluk trial. He obtained a medical report in 2003 certifying that he had suffered permanent damage to his brain and ears as a result of an accident in 2000 unrelated to Susurluk in addition to having a number of psychological problems. He was later pardoned by former President Ahmet Necdet Sezer.

NATIONAL  Other Titles
Erdoğan threatens judges, prosecutors in party group speech
Opposition leaders say PM turning Turkey into intelligence state
Opposition CHP leader likens Erdoğan to Hitler, Mussolini
Nearly 90 police officials purged in southeast Turkey
Nearly 280 police officers reassigned in four provinces
Twitter executives meet with Turkey's President Gül
Two officers arrested over Adana trucks released
AFAD: Number of Syrian refugees in Turkey tops 900,000
Bahçeli criticizes PM's attack on Constitutional Court
Murder suspect attempts suicide in prison
Homosexual prisoners in Turkey segregated for ‘protection': minister
AK Party politician sparks hatred against Hizmet movement
Reactions mount against ban on publication of ‘Risale-i Nur'
Prosecutor who stopped MİT trucks, two others reassigned
Ministry issues traffic tickets to 125 Gezi protesters in Çanakkale
Turkish gov't rules out May 1 rallies in İstanbul's Taksim Square
Turkish military says PKK kidnapped three workers
55 students from 30 countries captivate İzmir residents with poems of praise
HDP co-chair says MİT law only protects intelligence agency
Turkish Olympiad in Chicago held with impressive event
President's Office denies reports of Gül-Erdoğan meeting over presidential election
New paper unexpectedly shuts down, employees protest
Retirement no hindrance to good works for 12 Karabük men
Survey shows Black Sea province's people are happiest
Pro-gov't columnist resigns in protest of newspaper's deceit