Gas poisoning kills three more individuals, including pregnant woman

February 13, 2012, Monday/ 15:41:00

The death toll over the last two months from carbon monoxide poisoning in Turkey has again risen after three more individuals from the same family died on Sunday due to gas leaking from a coal-burning stove in the İskenderun district of Hatay.

After neighbors did not hear from the family all day, they went to check on them. When there was no answer, the neighbors broke down the door, entered the house and found the dead bodies of three individuals. An initial police investigation indicated Nilüfer Tosun (60), her nine-months-pregnant daughter Hamide Arık (25) and her 3-year-old granddaughter Irmak Arık were killed by a poisonous gas leak from a stove. Hamide Arık was reportedly staying with her mother because of her pregnancy as her husband was serving as a specialist sergeant in another province.

The bodies were sent to the İskenderun State Hospital's morgue for an autopsy after a public prosecutor assessed the scene.

In a related case, a mother and her four children died in the southeastern city of Gaziantep last week from carbon monoxide poisoning. Following the incident, Gaziantep police warned citizens of the dangers of carbon monoxide through a megaphone. They advised people not to keep coal in their stoves overnight, which is when most cases of carbon monoxide poisoning occur as people are asleep and don't notice. Yet another woman died of the same cause in Denizli early this month, while her husband was taken to a hospital for treatment. Carbon monoxide poisoning claimed two more lives in İstanbul's Maltepe district at the end of January; a seven-months-pregnant woman and her grandfather were found dead by their neighbors.

Another related case occurred in the Doğubeyazıt district of Ağrı last month. Six members of the Genceli family were found dead in their home as a result of gas poisoning.

National
Other Titles