Palestine says truce violated as Israeli gunfire kills man near Gaza
An Israeli soldier loads ammunition into the machine gun of a tank near the border with central Gaza November 20, 2012. (Photo: Reuters)
Israeli gunfire across the Gaza border killed one Palestinian on Friday and wounded several others, medics said, two days after a ceasefire between the territory's rulers Hamas and Israel took hold.
Medics said Anwar Qdeih, 23, was hit in the head by Israeli gunfire after he approached the security fence that runs along the Gaza frontier -- an area that Israel has long declared a no-go zone for Gazans.
A relative of the dead man, who was at the scene, told Reuters that Qdeih had been trying to place a Hamas flag on the fence. He added that an Israeli soldier had fired into the air three times before Qdeih was hit in the head by a bullet.
Palestinian foreign minister said the shooting violated the ceasefire agreement.
Malki, speaking at a meeting with Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi, called the incident "a clear violation of the agreement and should not be repeated".
A Hamas spokesman accused Israel of violating the Egyptian-mediated truce and said the group would complain to Cairo. An Israeli military spokeswoman said the army was checking reports of the incident.
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said: "We will contact the Egyptian mediator to discuss the incident."
Wednesday's ceasefire deal ended eight days of fierce fighting that left 163 Palestinians and six Israelis dead.
According to the terms of the accord, both Israelis and Palestinians agreed to stop their hostilities. However, the brief document left details on access to the tense border zone to be worked out in the days ahead.
Seven other Palestinians have been wounded by Israeli gunfire from the border since the start of the ceasefire, medics said. Six of them were hurt on Friday and one on Thursday, when the Israeli military said 200 Palestinian "rioters" approached the fence.
Israel's army constantly patrols the border area and says its forces have come under increasing attack this year, with militants planting explosive devices and firing an anti-tank missile on at least one occasion.
- MHP leader: Official Gazette's delay of election results unlawful
- PKK attacks outpost construction site in Tunceli's Hozatlı district
- Militants attack major air base in eastern Syria
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Skyscrapers damaging İstanbul skyline to be demolished
- Turkey denies German plane on Iraq aid mission barred from landing
- France seeks international meeting to tackle 'Islamic State'
- Gaza massacre goes on, Israel tries to kill Hamas military chief
- 10 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
- Afghan government bans NYT reporter from leaving country
- Police move against protesters as calm dissolves in Ferguson
- Beşiktaş draw 0-0 at home to Arsenal in first leg of CL
- ‘IS' opens new anti-US front with beheading video
- Turkey rejects Israeli claim it helped coup in West Bank
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Top Saudi cleric: Islamic State is Islam's enemy
- Turkish President Gül: Davutoğlu to become new prime minister
- Argentina car crash kills 3 relatives of pope
- Turkish sergeant who took part in Lice statue removal dies
- Three killed in traffic accident in central Turkey
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- Israel attacks Gaza targets, recalls negotiators as truce collapses
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- Turkey may send floating power station to Gaza
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- WHO says Ebola has killed more than 1,200
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu
- Libyan militia fire rockets into affluent Tripoli residential district
- US ship finishes neutralizing Syria's worst chemical arms
- Blast in China coal mine traps 27 miners
- Wounded Palestinian transferred to Turkey for treatment dies
- Man given one year in prison for tweet about governor's wife
- UN launching major aid operation for half a million in northern Iraq
- Syria strikes militants as US targets them in Iraq
- Islamic State message to America: "we will drown all of you in blood"
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- New operations target police investigating tender-rigging, spying
- IS fighters halt Iraqi offensive on Saddam's hometown Tikrit
- Israel, Palestinians renew truce but see risk of more Gaza violence
- Hundreds of Taliban fighters begin offensive near Afghan capital