Daughter of former Iranian President Rafsanjani taken to prison
Iran's former president, Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani (Photo: EPA)
The daughter of influential former Iranian president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani was taken to prison late on Saturday to serve a six-month sentence for "spreading anti-state propaganda," Iranian media reported.
Faezeh Rafsanjani, a former member of parliament, was convicted in January and sentenced to jail.
The conviction is believed to be over an interview she gave to an opposition news site in which she criticised human rights violations and economic policy in Iran.
Gholamhossein Esmaili, Iran's prisons chief, was quoted by the Mehr news agency as saying she was taken to Tehran's Evin Prison.
She was detained briefly in 2009 after street protests against the election that returned President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to power. Protesters said it was rigged in favour of the incumbent. Faezeh had addressed supporters of defeated candidate Mirhossein Mousavi, who had gathered in defiance of a ban on opposition protests.
Her latest detention comes as her brother Mehdi Rafsanjani is expected to return to Iran after living and studying in the United Kingdom. Officials have said Mehdi should be arrested upon arrival in Iran, accusing him of fomenting unrest after the 2009 vote.
An independent source told Reuters Mehdi was in Dubai and expected to return to Iran on Sunday.
The wealthy Rafsanjani family has faced heightened pressure from hardliners since the 2009 vote, which set off the deepest political crisis and worst unrest in Iran since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
The centrist Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, one of the founding figures of the Islamic Republic and a close aide to the revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, expressed sympathy for opposition demonstrators and saw his own power and influence wane as a result.
In March 2011, he lost his post as head of the state clerical body, the Assembly of Experts, consolidating the ascendancy of the hardline Ahmadinejad.
- At least 10 Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza
- 10 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
- Afghan government bans NYT reporter from leaving country
- Missouri suburb braces for more racial unrest but calm prevails
- Beşiktaş draw 0-0 at home to Arsenal in first leg of CL
- 'Islamic State' video purports to show beheading of US journalist
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Top Saudi cleric: Islamic State is Islam's enemy
- Ankara rejects Israeli claim Turkey helped coup in West Bank
- Turkish President Gül: Davutoğlu to become new prime minister
- Argentina car crash kills 3 relatives of pope
- Turkish sergeant who took part in Lice statue removal dies
- Three killed in traffic accident in central Turkey
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- Israel attacks Gaza targets, recalls negotiators as truce collapses
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- Turkey may send floating power station to Gaza
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- WHO says Ebola has killed more than 1,200
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu
- Libyan militia fire rockets into affluent Tripoli residential district
- Hundreds of Taliban fighters begin offensive near Afghan capital
- Bomb kills 6 on way to school in northwest Pakistan
- Blast in China coal mine traps 27 miners
- US ship finishes neutralizing Syria's worst chemical arms
- Wounded Palestinian transferred to Turkey for treatment dies
- Man given one year in prison for tweet about governor's wife
- UN launching major aid operation for half a million in northern Iraq
- Syria strikes militants as US targets them in Iraq
- US police come under gunfire, arrest 31 in Missouri racial unrest
- Islamic State message to America: "we will drown all of you in blood"
- New operations target police investigating tender-rigging, spying
- IS fighters halt Iraqi offensive on Saddam's hometown Tikrit
- Israel, Palestinians renew truce but see risk of more Gaza violence
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- Israel: Coup attempt in West Bank planned by Hamas official in Turkey
- US says conducted 15 airstrikes around Mosul dam, Kurds claim capture
- Amnesty, HRW: Israel blocks collecting Gaza war crimes evidence
- Court decides to demolish controversial statue of PKK member
- UN sees progress in Iran nuclear probe
- Reports: Islamic State group kills Syria tribesmen