Several Turkish dailies covered the latest developments following Assad's forces' attack on the northern Syrian town of Azaz and a bomb attack on civilians queuing for bread in the Qadi Askar neighborhood of Aleppo. The Zaman daily ran a headline that read, “Massacre in the bread queue,” and stated that more than 75 people had been killed in both attacks. The daily also briefly touched on Turkish President Abdullah Gül's statement at the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) conference in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The president reportedly said, “If we receive any [Kurdistan Workers' Party] PKK-related threats from northern Syria, we will stage a military operation.”
Another news story that received widespread coverage in the Turkish press was the kidnapping of a Turkish citizen in Lebanon. Aydın Tufan tekin was abducted in Lebanon on Wednesday, along with a group of Syrian men, by the Lebanese Shiite meqdad clan. The Milliyet daily ran a headlined that read, “We will kill the Turk first,” referring to threats made by the Meqdad clan. The abduction was retaliation for the alleged kidnapping of a Meqdad clan member by the Free Syrian Army (FSA); the clan has threatened to abduct the nationals of any countries supporting the Syrian opposition. Tekin had gone to Lebanon on business and Milliyet added that he spoke with Lebanese television reporters and said, “I'm good.”
*The Anatolia news agency does not verify these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.