Man confuses Tanzanian with US soldier, sacks him
A Turkey Youth Union (TGB) member placed a sack over the head of a Tanzanian tourist last week confusing the man with a US soldier, the Hürriyet daily reported on Friday.
According to the report, the TGB member, Z.Ö.D., was shocked after learning that the person whom he attacked was a 30-year-old Tanzanian tourist. A public prosecutor started legal proceedings against Z.Ö.D. for attempting to threaten one’s freedom. After giving testimony, he was released. According to another report that appeared on the website of the TGB on Friday, the attacker was not a TGB member, but the organization still congratulated him for his “courage.” The organization claimed that the Tanzanian tourist withdrew his complaint, finding its intention positive.
Last week, a large American aircraft carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln, docked at Turkey’s Mediterranean port of Antalya. Roughly 5,000 sailors took a tour of the city during their stay. Seven members of the TGB, known for their ideological proximity to the Workers’ Party (İP), attacked two US seamen and attempted to place sacks over their heads. However, the attackers were caught by civilian police who were following the group. The group was trying to take revenge for another sack incident, in which US soldiers had handcuffed and placed sacks over Turkish soldiers in July 2003 in Iraq.
Other TGB members protested the detainment of their friends and called a press conference. One member, Ali Taş, said the seven members from the group first told the US sailors that they were murderers and the group did not want them in Turkey. “After explaining in English, we wanted to put sacks over their heads. Now our friends are in police custody,” Taş said following the incident last week.
- Openly resentful of party, Gül reveals Davutoğlu as new prime minister
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- Atalay declares 'direct talks with Kandil,' PKK to get stronger
- Testimony of police officers taken 30 hours after detention
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Southeast simmers as tension escalates after demolition of PKK statue
- MHP leader: Official Gazette's delay of election results unlawful
- Man strangles stepmother in Bursa
- PKK makes $50-100 million per year from heroin smuggling
- PKK attacks outpost construction site in Tunceli's Hozatlı district
- Skyscrapers damaging İstanbul skyline to be demolished
- 155 illegal immigrants detained in Fethiye
- Turkey ranks 128th in the Global Peace Index
- Education Minister asked about discrimination claims
- Chamber of Architects warns preservation board over AOÇ
- Council of State permits probe into YÖK head
- Bursa man seeks justice for son, beaten by police instead
- Principal appointments begin in suspense
- 1 more police officer placed under arrest pending trial
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Mother mourns loss of son to underage driver
- Public role in $30-bln airport financing scrutinized
- More wounded Palestinians transferred to Turkey for treatment
- Gov't tries to hush up scandalous espionage and tender rigging charges
- Official Gazette delays release of election results, PM given time
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- Site of 700-year-old tomb marred by dorm construction
- Erdoğan gov't expands ban on media coverage for public event
- Reactions grow over profiling allegations against AK Party government
- Search efforts intensify for 5 İstanbulites missing at sea
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- ‘Law mandates Erdoğan both resigned and ex-prime minister'
- Officers deny wrongdoing on way to testify at court
- Argument between bus drivers leaves one dead
- Deputy Bal describes anti-police operation as psychological warfare
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- EGM report calls police operations into graft probes ‘success'
- Number of children who have drifted into crime increases 14.5 percent
- Number of people seeking psychological help triples
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu