President says Turkey's statements on downed jet consistent
President Abdullah Gül responds to questions from reporters during a joint press conference with his Beninese counterpart, Thomas Boni Yayi, in Ankara on June 9, 2012.(Photo: AA)
President Abdullah Gül has said statements by Turkish officials regarding the downing of a Turkish military jet by Syrian forces last month have been consistent.
“Read the statements made by our institutions after the downing of our jet again and think of the location where our jet was retrieved. There is a consistency in our statements,” Gül said on Monday when responding to questions from reporters during a joint press conference with his Beninese counterpart, Thomas Boni Yayi, in Ankara.
Stating that the pieces from the wreckage of the plane, found last week at a depth of more than 1,000 meters, are being examined, Gül said a final statement will be made after the results of the forensic examination are available. “Whoever has [any] documents, apart from this, should make them public,” Gül added.
Turkey says the plane, on a training mission to test domestic radar systems, was hit in international airspace by Syria without warning in a “hostile act.” Syria, on the other hand, says the plane was flying fast and low, at an altitude of 100 meters, and that it was only a kilometer off the Syrian coast when it was shot down. Syria also says the plane was hit by anti-aircraft weapons that only have a range of about two-and-a-half kilometers, rather than by a missile
The bodies of Capt. Gökhan Ertan and Lt. Hasan Hüseyin Aksoy were recovered from the seabed 8.6 nautical miles off the Syrian coast on Thursday at a depth of 1,260 meters near the plane's wreckage.
- Report: Turkey forfeits territory in lieu of Mosul hostages
- Suspected PKK terrorists fire at gendarmerie, police in Diyarbakır
- Obama: US won't stop confronting 'Islamic State'
- Bulgaria may extend Turkish border fence to bar Syrian, Iraqi refugees
- MHP leader: Official Gazette's delay of election results unlawful
- PKK attacks outpost construction site in Tunceli's Hozatlı district
- Militants attack major air base in eastern Syria
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Skyscrapers damaging İstanbul skyline to be demolished
- Turkey denies German plane on Iraq aid mission barred from landing
- France seeks international meeting to tackle 'Islamic State'
- Gaza massacre goes on, Israel tries to kill Hamas military chief
- 10 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
- Afghan government bans NYT reporter from leaving country
- Police move against protesters as calm dissolves in Ferguson
- Beşiktaş draw 0-0 at home to Arsenal in first leg of CL
- ‘IS' opens new anti-US front with beheading video
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Top Saudi cleric: Islamic State is Islam's enemy
- Turkey rejects Israeli claim it helped coup in West Bank
- Turkish President Gül: Davutoğlu to become new prime minister
- Argentina car crash kills 3 relatives of pope
- Turkish sergeant who took part in Lice statue removal dies
- Three killed in traffic accident in central Turkey
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- Israel attacks Gaza targets, recalls negotiators as truce collapses
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- Turkey may send floating power station to Gaza
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- WHO says Ebola has killed more than 1,200
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu
- Libyan militia fire rockets into affluent Tripoli residential district
- Blast in China coal mine traps 27 miners
- US ship finishes neutralizing Syria's worst chemical arms
- Wounded Palestinian transferred to Turkey for treatment dies
- Man given one year in prison for tweet about governor's wife
- UN launching major aid operation for half a million in northern Iraq
- Syria strikes militants as US targets them in Iraq
- Islamic State message to America: "we will drown all of you in blood"
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member