Turkey denied on Friday claims that it imposes restrictions on media access to camps accommodating Syrians seeking refuge on Turkish territory. Members of Turkish and international media enter the camps without any problems, in line with the rules set out by the foreign ministry and the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (afad), Foreign Ministry Spokesman Selçuk Ünal said.
Ünal was responding to a New York times article dated June 13 which claimed that two journalists were blocked from entering the Syrian refugee camps last week by the Turkish authorities. Ünal told the Anatolia news agency that Turkish and foreign journalists have entered the Syrian camps 254 times over the past year. According to the data provided by AFAD, 29,441 Syrians are currently staying in 10 camps in Turkey’s south.