Explosives seized along ministers’ route in Diyarbakır, attack averted
(From left to right) Finance Minister Mehmet Şimşek, Forestry and Waterworks Minister Veysel Eroğlu, Agriculture and Rural Affairs Minister Mehdi Eker and Development Minister Cevdet Yılmaz are seen during the groundbreaking ceremony of the Silvan Dam on Friday. (Photo: Cihan)
Police on Saturday seized 20 kilograms of explosives placed along a highway leading to Diyarbakır's Silvan district and believed to be targeting four ministers as their convoy passed by on Friday. The ministers were not in any danger as they had decided to travel to the district by plane in a last-minute decision.
Diyarbakır Governor Mustafa Toprak said in a statement on Sunday that Agriculture and Rural Affairs Minister Mehdi Eker, Development Minister Cevdet Yılmaz, Finance Minister Mehmet Şimşek and Forestry and Waterworks Minister Veysel Eroğlu attended the groundbreaking ceremony of the Silvan Dam on Friday. He said a plot by members of the terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) was foiled when the ministers changed their plans and traveled to the city by plane.
The governor said the explosives were safely disposed of on Saturday after intelligence suggested a terrorist attack had been planned. Noting that they think the explosives targeted the ministers, he said members of the PKK had earlier attacked the Silvan Dam's construction site and kidnapped three workers. “The earlier attack and the seizure of explosives planted on the day of the groundbreaking ceremony are regarded as futile efforts of the separatist organization to harm the unity, welfare and brotherhood of our people,” he said. He added that the government will go ahead with its projects to boost welfare in the region despite these plans.
- Militants attack major air base in eastern Syria
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Council of State approves demolition of skyline-damaging skyscrapers
- Turkey denies German plane on Iraq aid mission barred from landing
- France seeks international meeting to tackle 'Islamic State'
- At least 10 Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza
- 10 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
- Afghan government bans NYT reporter from leaving country
- Missouri suburb braces for more racial unrest but calm prevails
- Beşiktaş draw 0-0 at home to Arsenal in first leg of CL
- 'Islamic State' video purports to show beheading of US journalist
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Top Saudi cleric: Islamic State is Islam's enemy
- Ankara rejects Israeli claim Turkey helped coup in West Bank
- Turkish President Gül: Davutoğlu to become new prime minister
- Argentina car crash kills 3 relatives of pope
- Turkish sergeant who took part in Lice statue removal dies
- Three killed in traffic accident in central Turkey
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- Israel attacks Gaza targets, recalls negotiators as truce collapses
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- Turkey may send floating power station to Gaza
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- WHO says Ebola has killed more than 1,200
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu
- Libyan militia fire rockets into affluent Tripoli residential district
- Hundreds of Taliban fighters begin offensive near Afghan capital
- Bomb kills 6 on way to school in northwest Pakistan
- Blast in China coal mine traps 27 miners
- US ship finishes neutralizing Syria's worst chemical arms
- Wounded Palestinian transferred to Turkey for treatment dies
- Man given one year in prison for tweet about governor's wife
- UN launching major aid operation for half a million in northern Iraq
- Syria strikes militants as US targets them in Iraq
- Islamic State message to America: "we will drown all of you in blood"
- New operations target police investigating tender-rigging, spying
- IS fighters halt Iraqi offensive on Saddam's hometown Tikrit
- Israel, Palestinians renew truce but see risk of more Gaza violence
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- Israel: Coup attempt in West Bank planned by Hamas official in Turkey