TFF head Demirören testifies as witness in match-fixing trial
Turkish Football Federation (TFF) President Yıldırım Demirören testified on Thursday as a witness in the ongoing trial on allegations of match-fixing by Turkish teams.
The 14th hearing in the case began at the İstanbul 16th High Criminal Court early on Thursday. Ten suspects who have been jailed pending trial in the historic match-fixing case attended the hearing, which was conducted at the İstanbul Courthouse in Çağlayan.
Former Beşiktaş manager Serdal Adalı, another suspect in the match-fixing case, has denied charges of rigging, denying claims that he gifted his horse to former İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor player İbrahim Akın.
In his testimony, Demirören -- who was the chairman of Beşiktaş at the time matches are alleged to have been rigged -- told the judge that Akın's name was on the transfer committee's list, but that the player had been rejected. He added, “I rejected Akın's transfer due to his performance and his social life.”
Akın reportedly confessed during his testimony that Beşiktaş pledged to offer him a position with their club if he agreed to not score any goals during the final match. Beşiktaş won the cup in overtime last year.
Among the suspects are former Giresunspor Chairman Olgun Peker, Fenerbahçe Chairman Aziz Yıldırım, Sivasspor Chairman Mecnun Odyakmaz, Fenerbahçe manager İlhan Ekşioğlu and Fenerbahçe Financial Affairs Manager Tamer Yelkovan. Eleven other suspects also attended the hearing.
The hearing started with the testimony of witnesses in the case, including Demirören. The content of Demirören's testimony was not immediately available.
- MHP leader: Official Gazette's delay of election results unlawful
- PKK attacks outpost construction site in Tunceli's Hozatlı district
- Militants attack major air base in eastern Syria
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Skyscrapers damaging İstanbul skyline to be demolished
- Turkey denies German plane on Iraq aid mission barred from landing
- France seeks international meeting to tackle 'Islamic State'
- Gaza massacre goes on, Israel tries to kill Hamas military chief
- 10 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
- Afghan government bans NYT reporter from leaving country
- Police move against protesters as calm dissolves in Ferguson
- Beşiktaş draw 0-0 at home to Arsenal in first leg of CL
- ‘IS' opens new anti-US front with beheading video
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Top Saudi cleric: Islamic State is Islam's enemy
- Turkey rejects Israeli claim it helped coup in West Bank
- Turkish President Gül: Davutoğlu to become new prime minister
- Argentina car crash kills 3 relatives of pope
- Turkish sergeant who took part in Lice statue removal dies
- Three killed in traffic accident in central Turkey
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- Israel attacks Gaza targets, recalls negotiators as truce collapses
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- Turkey may send floating power station to Gaza
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- WHO says Ebola has killed more than 1,200
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu
- Libyan militia fire rockets into affluent Tripoli residential district
- Hundreds of Taliban fighters begin offensive near Afghan capital
- Blast in China coal mine traps 27 miners
- US ship finishes neutralizing Syria's worst chemical arms
- Wounded Palestinian transferred to Turkey for treatment dies
- Man given one year in prison for tweet about governor's wife
- UN launching major aid operation for half a million in northern Iraq
- Syria strikes militants as US targets them in Iraq
- Islamic State message to America: "we will drown all of you in blood"
- New operations target police investigating tender-rigging, spying
- IS fighters halt Iraqi offensive on Saddam's hometown Tikrit
- Israel, Palestinians renew truce but see risk of more Gaza violence
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member