One killed in clashes with PKK in southeastern Turkey
Turkish security forces killed a female member of the terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in a clash that occurred in a rural area in Siirt's Eruh district on Friday.
The clash began around noontime when a group of PKK member refused to respond to security units' call to surrender. The group fled the scene, leaving behind a woman who had been killed during the clash. Security forces called in more units to the region to help located the group.
The PKK, which is fighting for autonomy in Turkey's mainly Kurdish Southeast, was founded on Marxist ideology. Turkey has been conducting airstrikes on PKK camps in Iraq' northern mountains and inside Turkey since August of last year, following an increase in attacks on Turkish troops and civilians by the PKK, which has been fighting for autonomy for Turkey's largely Kurdish Southeast since 1984.
The conflict has claimed tens of thousands of lives. The group is labeled a terrorist organization by the European Union and the United States, which has supplied Predator drones to assist Turkey.
- Report: Turkey forfeits territory in lieu of Mosul hostages
- Suspected PKK terrorists fire at gendarmerie, police in Diyarbakır
- Obama: US won't stop confronting 'Islamic State'
- Bulgaria may extend Turkish border fence to bar Syrian, Iraqi refugees
- MHP leader: Official Gazette's delay of election results unlawful
- PKK attacks outpost construction site in Tunceli's Hozatlı district
- Militants attack major air base in eastern Syria
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Skyscrapers damaging İstanbul skyline to be demolished
- Turkey denies German plane on Iraq aid mission barred from landing
- France seeks international meeting to tackle 'Islamic State'
- Gaza massacre goes on, Israel tries to kill Hamas military chief
- 10 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
- Afghan government bans NYT reporter from leaving country
- Police move against protesters as calm dissolves in Ferguson
- Beşiktaş draw 0-0 at home to Arsenal in first leg of CL
- ‘IS' opens new anti-US front with beheading video
- Turkey rejects Israeli claim it helped coup in West Bank
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Top Saudi cleric: Islamic State is Islam's enemy
- Turkish President Gül: Davutoğlu to become new prime minister
- Argentina car crash kills 3 relatives of pope
- Turkish sergeant who took part in Lice statue removal dies
- Three killed in traffic accident in central Turkey
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- Israel attacks Gaza targets, recalls negotiators as truce collapses
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- Turkey may send floating power station to Gaza
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- WHO says Ebola has killed more than 1,200
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu
- Libyan militia fire rockets into affluent Tripoli residential district
- US ship finishes neutralizing Syria's worst chemical arms
- Blast in China coal mine traps 27 miners
- Wounded Palestinian transferred to Turkey for treatment dies
- Man given one year in prison for tweet about governor's wife
- UN launching major aid operation for half a million in northern Iraq
- Syria strikes militants as US targets them in Iraq
- Islamic State message to America: "we will drown all of you in blood"
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member