Teenager kills doctor after his grandfather passes away
Ersin Arslan (26) was stabbed to death by the grandson of one of his patients who passed away during an operation. (Photo: AA)
A cardiothoracic surgeon from the southeastern province of Gaziantep was stabbed to death on Tuesday by the grandson of one of his patients, who passed away during an operation.
Twenty-six-year-old Ersin Arslan was seriously wounded when a 17-year-old boy attacked him in his office. Arslan immediately received medical attention and was rushed into surgery by his colleagues; however, he died shortly after the incident.
The young man was later found with a knife in a hospital lavatory and handed over to police. The Gaziantep Police Department has begun an investigation into the incident. The suspect was arrested by a court on Wednesday.
In a statement to the press, the Turkish Doctors' Union (TTB) said doctors across the country will go on strike for two days in protest of Arslan's murder and to draw attention to the general lack of security at hospitals. In İstanbul alone 131 cases of serious insult to or attacks on doctors have been brought before the courts in the past year; in Turkey as a whole such cases are thought to number in the thousands.
- Gov't tries to hush up scandalous espionage and tender rigging charges
- Official Gazette delays release of election results, PM given time
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- Site of 700-year-old tomb marred by dorm construction
- Erdoğan gov't expands ban on media coverage for public event
- Reactions grow over profiling allegations against AK Party government
- Search efforts intensify for 5 İstanbulites missing at sea
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- ‘Law mandates Erdoğan both resigned and ex-prime minister'
- Officers deny wrongdoing on way to testify at court
- Argument between bus drivers leaves one dead
- Deputy Bal describes anti-police operation as psychological warfare
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- EGM report calls police operations into graft probes ‘success'
- Number of children who have drifted into crime increases 14.5 percent
- Number of people seeking psychological help triples
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu
- New operations target police investigating tender-rigging, spying
- Man given one year in prison for tweet about governor's wife
- Erdoğan's plan to restructure AK Party contradict earlier statement
- CHP asks for number of Yazidis taking shelter in Turkey
- Gülen slams pro-gov't media for disseminating lies and blasphemy
- Five Turkish men missing, feared drowned off İstanbul coast
- Two children, woman drown in Kocaeli
- Court decides to demolish controversial statue of PKK member
- Opposition asks if Ankara turning blind eye to IS militants in Turkey
- CHP deputies visit Yazidi refugees in Şırnak
- Opposition calls on Gül to appoint acting PM
- Turkey did not build camp for Turkmen refugees in Iraq
- Criminal complaint filed over erected statue of PKK terrorist
- Leadership race starts in CHP as İnce announces candidacy
- Driving test now more difficult, 4 of 10 candidates fail
- Ancient monuments mishandled by inferior restoration
- 7 drown, 1 disappears over weekend
- PKK youth branch launches illegal drug operation in eastern Turkey
- President-elect to hold rallies throughout country
- Iran spies under surveillance in Tawhid-Salam probe escape Turkey
- Families of killed troops stage rally at Ministry of Defense
- Zirve suspects blame 'parallel structure' for their crimes
- Iranian envoy to investigate Zarrab-Zanjani relations in Turkey