Two soldiers killed, three injured in clashes with PKK
Two soldiers were killed and three others injured in clashes between Turkish security forces and members of the terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in Uludere, a district in the province of Şırnak, on Thursday morning.
No PKK deaths were reported. Spc. Sgts. Caner Kesimal and Bayram Tekin were killed in the clashes, which occurred near a military base bordering northern Iraq. Three others were wounded and immediately taken to the Şırnak Military Hospital for treatment.
An official ceremony was held for slain Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) members, Tekin and Kesimal. Following the ceremony, Tekin's body was sent to his hometown of Konya and Kesimal's body was sent to his hometown of Rize on Thursday. TSK forces have since begun an operation backed by the Turkish Air Forces (THK) against the terrorist organization in Uludere.
The National Police Department sent an official letter to counterterrorism units across the country last month, calling on them to tighten security measures as the PKK has recently stepped up its campaign of violence. The letter warned counterterrorism units that PKK members are preparing for simultaneous attacks and said that their primary targets are security forces and police stations. The police department also demanded security measures be tightened in public spaces such as metro stations, shopping centers and public transportation.
The PKK, which is fighting for autonomy in Turkey’s mainly Kurdish Southeast, was founded on a Marxist ideology. Turkey has been conducting airstrikes on PKK camps in Iraq’s northern mountains and inside Turkey since August of last year, following an increase in attacks on Turkish troops and civilians by the PKK, which has been fighting for autonomy for the Southeast since 1984. The conflict has claimed tens of thousands of lives. The group is labeled a terrorist organization by the European Union and the United States, which has supplied Predator drones to assist Turkey.
- Militants attack major air base in eastern Syria
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Council of State approves demolition of skyline-damaging skyscrapers
- Turkey denies German plane on Iraq aid mission barred from landing
- France seeks international meeting to tackle 'Islamic State'
- At least 10 Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza
- 10 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
- Afghan government bans NYT reporter from leaving country
- Missouri suburb braces for more racial unrest but calm prevails
- Beşiktaş draw 0-0 at home to Arsenal in first leg of CL
- 'Islamic State' video purports to show beheading of US journalist
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Top Saudi cleric: Islamic State is Islam's enemy
- Ankara rejects Israeli claim Turkey helped coup in West Bank
- Turkish President Gül: Davutoğlu to become new prime minister
- Argentina car crash kills 3 relatives of pope
- Turkish sergeant who took part in Lice statue removal dies
- Three killed in traffic accident in central Turkey
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- Israel attacks Gaza targets, recalls negotiators as truce collapses
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- Turkey may send floating power station to Gaza
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- WHO says Ebola has killed more than 1,200
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu
- Libyan militia fire rockets into affluent Tripoli residential district
- Hundreds of Taliban fighters begin offensive near Afghan capital
- Bomb kills 6 on way to school in northwest Pakistan
- Blast in China coal mine traps 27 miners
- US ship finishes neutralizing Syria's worst chemical arms
- Wounded Palestinian transferred to Turkey for treatment dies
- Man given one year in prison for tweet about governor's wife
- UN launching major aid operation for half a million in northern Iraq
- Syria strikes militants as US targets them in Iraq
- Islamic State message to America: "we will drown all of you in blood"
- New operations target police investigating tender-rigging, spying
- IS fighters halt Iraqi offensive on Saddam's hometown Tikrit
- Israel, Palestinians renew truce but see risk of more Gaza violence
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- Israel: Coup attempt in West Bank planned by Hamas official in Turkey