Six were killed and six others injured on Monday after a tornado struck a construction site in the eastern Turkish province of Elazığ.
The construction site sustained significant damage as the storm passed through the area, tossing about containerized housing units where workers lived and throwing them onto a tractor and several other vehicles. Four people died at the scene.
Elazığ Governor Muammer Erol said there were 12 people inside the housing units when the tornado struck. He added that eight injured workers had been taken to the hospital, but two of them died from injuries, bringing the death toll to six.
Erol added that they had received news of homes in nearby Elazığ villages being destroyed, but said their investigation of such reports revealed no such damage to nearby homes and buildings. He also confirmed that other than the deaths of the six construction workers, no one else was killed in the province.
Ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Elazığ deputy Şuay Alpay also arrived in the area to inspect the aftermath of the deadly incident.
The injured were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. The bodies of the four victims were sent to their hometowns for burial, while the other two are still at hospital morgues in Elazığ.