Turkish hospital performs second successful full-face transplant
Turkey's first ever full-face transplant patient, Uğur Acar, speaks to reporters on Feb. 22, 2012. (Photo: AA)
The Ankara-based Hacettepe University School of Medicine Hospital on Friday successfully performed Turkey's second full-face transplant surgery on a 25-year-old patient, who lost 70 percent of his face when he was only 2 years old.
The surgery was made possible after the relatives of a 40-year-old man who was recently declared brain dead at İzmir's Dokuz Eylül University Hospital, after having been critically injured in a motorcycle accident on Feb. 17, decided to donate his organs.
The donor's face, whose name has not been disclosed, was given to Cengiz Gül, who suffered serious burns in a television tube explosion when he was 2 years old. An operation also began on Friday at the same hospital to transplant the donor's arms and legs to another patient.
The organs were brought to Ankara from İzmir early on Friday and doctors promptly began the surgery, which took hours, at Hacettepe University's School of Medicine Hospital in the afternoon.
Hacettepe University President told the state-run Anatolia news agency that the patient is currently under intensive care but he remains stable. He added that hours following the operation is critical so that doctors closely monitor the patient.
The surgery follows Turkey's first full-face transplant, which was performed last month at Akdeniz University Hospital in Antalya. Uğur Acar, who suffered serious burns to his face during a house fire that occurred when he was just 40 days old, underwent the successful face transplant operation last month. The transplant was made possible after the family of Ahmet Kaya, who had been declared brain dead, donated all of his organs.
Gül's relatives said his hopes of receiving a full face-transplant increased after reports of the success of Acar's operation last month. Gül's aunt, Münevver Oral, said her nephew has long wished to have a face-transplant and had contacted Hacettepe University's School of Medicine last month to inquire about the possibility.
Commenting on Friday's surgery, Health Minister Recep Akdağ said Turkey will see more successful organ transplants in the future. “We should not overlook the basic issue here, which is donations by our people,” he said. He added that Hacettepe University's hospital also has the capacity to perform other types of organ transplant surgeries.
Hacettepe University Rector Professor Murat Tuncer said the double arm and limb transplant also being performed on a patient at the university's hospital will be a first not only in Turkey but in the whole world if it proves successful. He added that both of the operations, the full face-transplant and the double arm and limb transplant, are expected to continue until midnight.
“I am proud of my colleagues who are performing the operations. I would also like to thank the Health Ministry for offering us such an opportunity. Our ministry has established a very modern system. The Health Ministry has contributed a lot to the success of organ transplants in Turkey,” he added.
- Openly resentful of party, Gül reveals Davutoğlu as new prime minister
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- Atalay declares 'direct talks with Kandil,' PKK to get stronger
- Testimony of police officers taken 30 hours after detention
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Southeast simmers as tension escalates after demolition of PKK statue
- MHP leader: Official Gazette's delay of election results unlawful
- Man strangles stepmother in Bursa
- PKK makes $50-100 million per year from heroin smuggling
- PKK attacks outpost construction site in Tunceli's Hozatlı district
- Skyscrapers damaging İstanbul skyline to be demolished
- 155 illegal immigrants detained in Fethiye
- Turkey ranks 128th in the Global Peace Index
- Education Minister asked about discrimination claims
- Chamber of Architects warns preservation board over AOÇ
- Council of State permits probe into YÖK head
- Bursa man seeks justice for son, beaten by police instead
- Principal appointments begin in suspense
- 1 more police officer placed under arrest pending trial
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Mother mourns loss of son to underage driver
- Public role in $30-bln airport financing scrutinized
- More wounded Palestinians transferred to Turkey for treatment
- Gov't tries to hush up scandalous espionage and tender rigging charges
- Official Gazette delays release of election results, PM given time
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- Site of 700-year-old tomb marred by dorm construction
- Erdoğan gov't expands ban on media coverage for public event
- Reactions grow over profiling allegations against AK Party government
- Search efforts intensify for 5 İstanbulites missing at sea
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- ‘Law mandates Erdoğan both resigned and ex-prime minister'
- Officers deny wrongdoing on way to testify at court
- Argument between bus drivers leaves one dead
- Deputy Bal describes anti-police operation as psychological warfare
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- EGM report calls police operations into graft probes ‘success'
- Number of children who have drifted into crime increases 14.5 percent
- Number of people seeking psychological help triples
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu