Unlikely donor for woman in need of kidney
When 34-year-old Meliha Avcı, who has been receiving dialysis treatment for 12 years, discovered she was urgently in need of a kidney donation, her unlikely savior was Ayşe İmdat, the long-term girlfriend of her husband, Mehmet Avcı.
Meliha Avcı, who has also received blood donations from İmdat, said, “We have shared blood, we have shared my husband and now we are sharing kidneys.”
Mehmet Avcı and his wife have been married and living in Nevşehir for 16 years. Meliha Avcı, who was diagnosed with renal failure four years into the couple's marriage, has been going to the hospital three times a week for four-hour dialysis sessions ever since. Five years ago, when accompanying his wife on a hospital trip, Mehmet Avcı met 34-year-old İmdat and after getting to know her asked her to move into his mother's home. His wife only recently found out the nature of their relationship.
As Meliha Avcı's condition continued to deteriorate, İmdat made the suggestion that she would donate one of her kidneys. It was known that the two women's blood types were the same because İmdat had previously donated blood to Meliha Avcı.
“In all the years that I have suffered from kidney problems I have never said to anyone ‘Would you give me a kidney',” Meliha Avcı told the press on Tuesday. “However Ayşe was insistent that I should take her kidney. Now my life has completely changed. I have Ayşe and my husband to thank for this,” she continued.
- Openly resentful of party, Gül reveals Davutoğlu as new prime minister
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- Atalay declares 'direct talks with Kandil'
- Testimony of police officers taken 30 hours after detention
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Southeast simmers as tension escalates after demolition of PKK statue
- MHP leader: Official Gazette's delay of election results unlawful
- Man strangles stepmother in Bursa
- PKK makes $50-100 million per year from heroin smuggling
- PKK attacks outpost construction site in Tunceli's Hozatlı district
- Skyscrapers damaging İstanbul skyline to be demolished
- 155 illegal immigrants detained in Fethiye
- Turkey ranks 128th in the Global Peace Index
- Education Minister asked about discrimination claims
- Chamber of Architects warns preservation board over AOÇ
- Council of State permits probe into YÖK head
- Bursa man seeks justice for son, beaten by police instead
- Principal appointments begin in suspense
- 1 more police officer placed under arrest pending trial
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Mother mourns loss of son to underage driver
- Public role in $30-bln airport financing scrutinized
- More wounded Palestinians transferred to Turkey for treatment
- Gov't tries to hush up scandalous espionage and tender rigging charges
- Official Gazette delays release of election results, PM given time
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- Site of 700-year-old tomb marred by dorm construction
- Erdoğan gov't expands ban on media coverage for public event
- Reactions grow over profiling allegations against AK Party government
- Search efforts intensify for 5 İstanbulites missing at sea
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- ‘Law mandates Erdoğan both resigned and ex-prime minister'
- Officers deny wrongdoing on way to testify at court
- Argument between bus drivers leaves one dead
- Deputy Bal describes anti-police operation as psychological warfare
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- EGM report calls police operations into graft probes ‘success'
- Number of children who have drifted into crime increases 14.5 percent
- Number of people seeking psychological help triples
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu