MİT official says he ‘knows much’ about past atrocities
Mehmet Eymür (Photo: AA)
A retired department head from the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) who was summoned to testify in an ongoing investigation into a series of unsolved assassinations in the 1990s has declared there is “much that I know” in his testimony to the Ankara Specially Authorized Prosecutor's Office.
Mehmet Eymür, former head of MİT's Counterterrorism Unit, gave names and provided detailed information about illegal and clandestine groups nested inside the state hierarchy, sources close to the investigation have said. Eymür provided much detail about the Susurluk gang, named after the township of Susurluk in Turkey's northwest, where in 1996 a road accident led to the revelation of an unseemly partnership between the police, politicians and the mafia.
An internationally wanted mafia boss and a police chief were killed when the Mercedes they were travelling in together was hit by a truck. A third person in the car, who was a member of Parliament from a province in southeastern Turkey and the head of a Kurdish clan of village guards (locals armed by the state to fight the terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party [PKK]) was injured and claimed he lost his memory after the accident. The crash and the investigation revealed clandestine links and an illegal network formed by powerful individuals in state agencies; however, those at the top of that network have managed to remain in the shadows.
Eymür was detained earlier this week at his Sarıyer home by police and a large number of documents and crucial evidence regarding various murders that took place in the '90s were seized during a search of his home. A number of hard disk drives, CDs and tapes were retrieved, as well as pictures documenting the shady links between state officials, politicians and the underworld. These are now being examined by experts at criminology laboratories of the police department.
Sources say a notebook with names of people involved in illegal structures inside the state, as well as details of the organizational make up of the network, was also seized during the search.
Eymür was released on Wednesday but barred from travelling out of the country. He has responded to all the questions directed to him by the prosecution, cumulating in nine pages of testimony, sources close to the investigation have said.
The former MİT member provided names, details and listed some of the atrocities committed by the members of these illegal networks during the '90s which had the objective of manipulating and shaping public opinion in favor of the political and personal agendas of the members of the network.
During his testimony an important question was raised about Yeşil, an alias used by Mahmut Yıldırım, a hitman who is believed to have carried out most of the “dirty work” of the illegal formations inside the state. He has managed to remain elusive for much of his life and has been presumed dead for many years.
Eymür reportedly said that Yeşil did not work for MİT, but was part of JİTEM, an illegal intelligence unit secretly founded in the 90s to fight PKK terrorism “more effectively.” JİTEM's existence was officially acknowledged only this year, despite overwhelming evidence of its existence being present long before the official acknowledgement by the Interior Ministry, which officially said in a response to a query filed by a court hearing a JİTEM related trial that the organization “had existed,” although observers suspect it might still be functional.
- Openly resentful of party, Gül reveals Davutoğlu as new prime minister
- Outgoing first lady breaks silence on criticism, promises ‘intifada'
- Atalay declares 'direct talks with Kandil'
- Testimony of police officers taken 30 hours after detention
- TurkStat : Age of youngest reported bonzai users drops below 11
- Southeast simmers as tension escalates after demolition of PKK statue
- MHP leader: Official Gazette's delay of election results unlawful
- Man strangles stepmother in Bursa
- PKK makes $50-100 million per year from heroin smuggling
- PKK attacks outpost construction site in Tunceli's Hozatlı district
- Skyscrapers damaging İstanbul skyline to be demolished
- 155 illegal immigrants detained in Fethiye
- Turkey ranks 128th in the Global Peace Index
- Education Minister asked about discrimination claims
- Chamber of Architects warns preservation board over AOÇ
- Council of State permits probe into YÖK head
- Bursa man seeks justice for son, beaten by police instead
- Principal appointments begin in suspense
- 1 more police officer placed under arrest pending trial
- Turkish lieutenant killed, another soldier injured in PKK attack
- Mother mourns loss of son to underage driver
- Public role in $30-bln airport financing scrutinized
- More wounded Palestinians transferred to Turkey for treatment
- Gov't tries to hush up scandalous espionage and tender rigging charges
- Official Gazette delays release of election results, PM given time
- At least 34 injured in Kastamonu bus accident
- Site of 700-year-old tomb marred by dorm construction
- Erdoğan gov't expands ban on media coverage for public event
- Reactions grow over profiling allegations against AK Party government
- Search efforts intensify for 5 İstanbulites missing at sea
- Government says considering talks with PKK's military wing
- ‘Law mandates Erdoğan both resigned and ex-prime minister'
- Officers deny wrongdoing on way to testify at court
- Argument between bus drivers leaves one dead
- Deputy Bal describes anti-police operation as psychological warfare
- 5 youths taken to ICU after bonzai drug trip in Bursa
- EGM report calls police operations into graft probes ‘success'
- Number of children who have drifted into crime increases 14.5 percent
- Number of people seeking psychological help triples
- One killed in Lice clashes over removal of statue of PKK member
- 78 CHP provincial heads announce support for Kılıçdaroğlu