25 September 2011 /TODAYSZAMAN.COM
One person died in the northeastern province of Rize on Sunday as flash floods hit the province over the weekend.
Rize Governor Seyfullah Hacımüftüoğlu said 52 year-old Necihan Aksu went missing on Saturday night and was found dead on Sunday. The governor said nearly 250 homes were flooded in Rize after the river passing through the city's center overflowed.
Many in the province were stranded in their homes, which were surrounded by mud due to landslides. Fire brigade teams have been evacuating the stranded. Twelve people died last year in Rize after landslides caused by torrential rain wiped out several homes.