|  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
17 April 2014, Thursday
 
 
Today's Zaman
 
 
 
 

Minister's museum proposal for Nemrut sculptures sparks controversy

29 August 2011, Monday /TODAYSZAMAN.COM
A recent proposal by Minister of Culture and Tourism Ertuğrul Günay to move the gigantic sculptures atop Mount Nemrut, which are on the UNESCO World Heritage List, to a museum in order to protected them from harsh conditions of winter, has sparked controversy among archeologists and scientists over whether the sculptures should be preserved inside a museum or not.

Günay put forth the proposal last week, saying the sculptures can be brought down from the mountain by helicopter and become part of the exhibit in a museum in the Kahta district of Adıyaman. “Many proposals, including those from [Middle East Technical University] ODTÜ, were brought to me for the protection of the sculptures on the mountain. However, none of them convinced me. Among the proposals were covering the sculptures with some chemicals. I asked them to bring me that chemical, but they could not. Some are proposing covering them with a tent or glass. Strong winds blowing on the mountain in the winter would damage the tent. The windows would be broken,” Günay said.

Noting that the best solution would be to move the stone heads to a museum, he added that he has personally observed the damage sustained by the heads in the past 20 years and that they need protection.

One strong negative reaction to the minister's proposal came from ODTÜ's Commagene-Nemrut Conservation and Development Program, which was launched with the cooperation of ODTÜ, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, the Adıyaman Governor's Office and the municipality with the aim of protecting the cultural heritage of Adıyaman and aiding the economic development of the city by fully utilizing its tourism potential. Professor Neriman Şahin Güçhan, who leads the team, told the Hürriyet daily on Monday that there is no scientific evidence that the heads need to be moved in order to be preserved.

“All the research we have done is aimed at preserving the sculptures in their original place. We simply proposed transferring five grave stones on the mountain,” she said.  The professor added that her team has already produced a special chemical mixture to protect the sculptures and that they did submit it to the Mount Nemrut Scientific Consultation Board, founded on Günay's orders. She said the council has already approved the proposal. 

However, other archeologists do back Günay's proposal. “Archeological artifacts should be principally protected in their original place. However, the sculptures have been sustaining damage for a long time. Chemicals will not be enough to protect them from the elements. I also think that the sculptures should be moved,” Necmi Karul, from the Association of Archeologists, told Hürriyet.

The sculptures are located near Karadut village in Kahta district 66 kilometers from Adıyaman. At an altitude of 2,206 meters, the Commagene-era figures and constructions are known variously as the “eighth wonder of the world” and “the throne of the gods. The Commagene sanctuary on Mount Nemrut was built 2,000 years ago and features colossal toppled heads of kings and gods.  

 
 
NATIONAL  Other Titles
Suspicions remain on 21st anniversary of President Özal's death
Interior Ministry seeks to expel 20 police chiefs
Former Adana prosecutor, wife file separate complaints
Media hate speech targets Turkey's Alevis most, report reveals
Take a stroll in these İstanbul neighborhoods
Ruling party wants Erdoğan presidential bid, say party officials
Turkey to hold further talks with Twitter
Film on young victims of Dersim massacre shown in Ankara
PKK kidnaps former mayor, three people in southeastern Turkey
Government wages war on all institutions as presidential race approaches
Exemplary democrat Turgut Özal commemorated on 21st anniversary of death
Opposition deputy: CHP will apply to Constitutional Court over dershane law
Pro-gov't dailies report conflicting news on leaked audio on Syria
‘Nonexistent' Berkin Elvan video footage found
MHP leader calls for end to polarization
Prosecutor dismisses complaint against PM and ‘Alo Fatih'
İkizdere villagers march in protest of tree massacre
American citizen returns historic work to Turkey
Prosecutor drops probe into '94 airstrike that killed 38 villagers
PM avoids suing critics of corruption out of fear ‘truth may come out'
AK Party deputies pass MİT law article-by-article despite warnings
Ministerial bureaucrats purged after being profiled by MİT
Chief ombudsman laments low implementation of KDK recommendations
Purges in police force leading to higher crime rate
AK Party government punishing reassigned police officers
...
Bloggers