|  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
18 April 2014, Friday
 
 
Today's Zaman
 
 
 
 

Search for victims of unsolved murders begins in Diyarbakır cemetery

24 June 2011, Friday /TODAY'S ZAMAN
Excavations searching for the victims of unsolved murders that took place in Diyarbakır in 1996 and 1997 are under way at a section reserved for people without a family in the province's Mardinkapı cemetery.

The excavations began upon an application by the families of Fethi Yıldırım and Hakkı Kaya, who were allegedly kidnapped and killed in Diyarbakır in 1994, but prosecutors are also working to find bone fragments belonging to other victims of unsolved murders in the region.

An illegal network inside the gendarmerie called JİTEM is thought to be responsible for Turkey's unsolved murders in the predominantly Kurdish East and Southeast.

Investigators say the bodies might belong to civilians allegedly killed by JİTEM officers, as well as dead members of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

During the excavations, bone fragments belonging to Sadık and Seyithan Ulumazkan, a father and a son who were allegedly kidnapped and killed in 1997 are also being sought. The excavations continue at the Mardinkapı cemetery and five graves have been dug out. The bone fragments found in the graves opened so far will be sent to forensic medicine for DNA examination.

The excavations are under the supervision of prosecutor Osman Coşkun. In 2010, there were excavations in another cemetery for people without a family, searching for the bones of the victims but the bones were found to belong to other people.

Serdar Çelebi, a lawyer for the families of the victims, said there are thousands of people missing in the region so it is better to create a DNA data bank to quickly identify people when their bones are found in excavations.

Kaya's nephew Barış Ayna said his uncle has been missing since 1996 and his family learned that he was buried in a cemetery for people without a family in the village where it was abandoned.

İsmail Ulumazkan who was following the excavations at the cemetery said his father, Sadık, and brother, Seyithan, were kidnapped and killed in Diyarbakır in 1997. “Whenever there is an excavation, I go there and look for my father and brother with hope. When I learned that two bodies were exhumed from a single grave, I came to Diyarbakır from Viranşehir, a district of Şanlıurfa. I hope I will find them this time,” said Ulumazkan.

 
Keywords:
 
NATIONAL  Other Titles
Suspicions remain on 21st anniversary of President Özal's death
Interior Ministry seeks to expel 20 police chiefs
Former Adana prosecutor, wife file separate complaints
Media hate speech targets Turkey's Alevis most, report reveals
Take a stroll in these İstanbul neighborhoods
Ruling party wants Erdoğan presidential bid, say party officials
Turkey to hold further talks with Twitter
Film on young victims of Dersim massacre shown in Ankara
PKK kidnaps former mayor, three people in southeastern Turkey
Exemplary democrat Turgut Özal commemorated on 21st anniversary of death
Opposition deputy: CHP will apply to Constitutional Court over dershane law
Pro-gov't dailies report conflicting news on leaked audio on Syria
‘Nonexistent' Berkin Elvan video footage found
MHP leader calls for end to polarization
Prosecutor dismisses complaint against PM and ‘Alo Fatih'
İkizdere villagers march in protest of tree massacre
American citizen returns historic work to Turkey
Prosecutor drops probe into '94 airstrike that killed 38 villagers
PM avoids suing critics of corruption out of fear ‘truth may come out'
AK Party deputies pass MİT law article-by-article despite warnings
Ministerial bureaucrats purged after being profiled by MİT
Chief ombudsman laments low implementation of KDK recommendations
Purges in police force leading to higher crime rate
AK Party government punishing reassigned police officers
Commemorations for former President Özal, supporter of Turkish schools abroad
...
Bloggers