Alejandro Jodorowsky to attend !f İstanbul
Director Alejandro Jodorowsky, one of the great visionaries of our times, will be in town next month as a guest of the upcoming !f İstanbul AFM International Independent Film Festival, the organizers of the event announced this week.
The Chilean filmmaker, who has influenced countless artists and directors, from John Lennon to David Lynch, will be in İstanbul for the first-ever Turkish theatrical screening of his 1989 cult film “Santa Sangre,” named among the 500 greatest movies of all time by Empire Magazine. A newly restored copy of the film will be shown on Feb. 20 as part of this year’s festival and Jodorowsky will be on hand for a Q&A session following the screening.
Jodorowsky, the acclaimed director of such cult classics as “El Topo” and “The Holy Mountain,” is also renowned for his spiritual writing and research. The director will also be giving a special talk open to the public on Feb. 22, the festival said in a written statement.
!f İstanbul, the eagerly anticipated annual showcase of indie and arthouse films in İstanbul, will mark its 10th year on Feb. 17-27 in its birthplace. A selection from the program will have a five-day run in early March in the Turkish capital, too. Festival tickets are being sold at www.mybilet.com. Early bird sales are Feb. 5-7 for İstanbul and Feb. 25-27 for Ankara. Ticket sales at box offices will start on Feb. 8 in İstanbul and on Feb. 28 in Ankara. For updates on the festival: www.ifistanbul.com.
- Spirit of Gezi protests recollected in PHOTO book
- Celebration of Polish art continues in Turkey until 2015
- Chet Faker set for İstanbul debut at Akbank Jazz Festival
- 12 films to vie for big prize at Adana Altın Koza festival
- İdil Biret focusing on Bach, Chopin in Ayvalık master class
- Turkish youth philharmonic begins 2014 tour in Sicily
- Action films bore me, says ‘Lucy’ director Luc Besson
- Music for Peace, Sistema Europe join forces for İstanbul concert
- Venice Film Festival director praises Turkish filmmaker
- Enthronement gifts for Abdülhamid II set for İstanbul display
- Golden Orange to host forum to boost Turkish cinema
- Director Reha Erdem to chair Altın Koza national feature jury
- ‘Mission Blue’ film charts scientist’s quest to save oceans
- 'The Babadook' Are you ready to open the cellar door?
- 21st Aspendos Opera and Ballet Festival to open with ‘Aida’
- New tricks can’t rescue ‘Expendables 3’
- Sarajevo fest marks 20th year with record number of films
- Turkey’s Zeytinli Rock Festival returns with all-Turkish lineup
- Dystopian young adult film ‘The Giver’ pits love over violence
- İstanbul rediscovers 1920s American dance Lindy Hop
- Betrayal births a ring of fire
- Gümüşlük Classical Music Festival ends on a high note
- 'THE KING'S CURSE'
- 'COLORLESS TSUKURU TAZAKI AND HIS YEARS OF PILGRIMAGE'
- CULTURAL AGENDA
- Netflix goes for laughs with new stand-up specials this fall
- Exhibition, book revisit Princes’ Islands sanctuaries
- Praise heaped on Borusan Philharmonic at BBC Proms
- Work by Diane Arbus, Herbert List set for İstanbul display
- Sarah Brightman headed to İstanbul before spaceflight
- Composer Altın vying for Grammy Awards in four categories
- Local film festival in coastal town marks ninth year
- American museums team up to digitize Andy Warhol films
- Tim Butcher retraces the steps of the Great War’s ‘Trigger’
- New York Film Festival to feature 30 movies, world premieres
- Golden Orange launches digital library of festival memories
- Malatya film festival announces main theme for 2014 edition
- This week in theaters
- Duran Duran ‘Unstaged’ coming to theaters -- and your earbuds