Ümraniye suspect arrested, Muzaffer Tekin taken into custody

Ümraniye suspect arrested, Muzaffer Tekin taken into custody

Retired Capt. Muzaffer Tekin whose name came to public attention in connection with the Council of State attack in 2006, is taken into custody as part of the investigation.

June 18, 2007, Monday/ 19:19:00
Retired noncommissioned officer Oktay Yıldırım, his landlord Mehmet Demirtaş and Ali Yiğit, who had been taken into custody over hand grenades seized in a slum house in the Ümraniye district of İstanbul, were arrested on charges of being members of a terrorist organization and illegal possession of explosives.

As a part of the investigation, retired Capt. Muzaffer Tekin, who said he knew Yıldırım, whose name had come to public notice in connection to an attack carried out last summer against the Council of State, was also taken into custody upon the deposition of Mehmet Demirtaş. Mahmut Öztürk, who had taken Tekin to the hospital after he attempted suicide at home following the Council of State attack, was taken into custody shortly after Tekin.

During the raid, carried out on June 12 in Güngör St. in Ümraniye’s Çakmak neighborhood, 27 hand grenades, a large number of TNT explosives and fuses were seized in the slum house, whose door was broken with sledgehammers. In relation to the explosives and fuses, the owner of the house Demirtaş, his nephew Yiğit and Yıldırım were taken into custody. Tried by the court on duty on Saturday, the three suspects were arrested.

Upon the completion of legal proceedings as a part of the investigation conducted by the Istanbul Chief Prosecutor’s Office, Yıldırım, who was honorably discharged by the army as a result of a physical disability, Demirtaş and Yiğit were brought to a court in Beşiktaş in the early hours of Saturday. The suspects were interrogated by the public prosecutor on duty Fikret Seçen, who sent them to the court on duty with the demand that they be arrested on the grounds of being members of a terrorist organization, and illegally possessions explosives. The suspects, arrested by the İstanbul 10th High Criminal Court, were transferred to Bayrampaşa Prison.

Demirtaş is claimed to have stated in his deposition that the explosives had been brought to his house in 2005 by Yıldırım and kept in the attic ever since. Yiğit, conversely, was reported to have said that Yıldırım told him that he had taken some explosives from the box, but he did not tell him what he had done with them. Retired noncommissioned officer Yıldırım was said to have made contradictory statements on how he had obtained the explosives and it was noted that he used his right to remain silent on many of the questions. The lawyers of the suspects will not make any statements, it was said, as the case was declared confidential. The lawyers only stated that Yıldırım, Demirtaş and Yiğit were arrested under Article 100 of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK.)

Tekin arrested in relation to hand grenades

Retired army Capt. Tekin was also taken into custody upon the statement of the owner of the house Demirtaş. After a health check, Tekin was said to have been interrogated at the police station. After he was taken into custody, the police conducted a search in his house and seized his computer and some documents.

The criminal inspection as to whether the hand grenades are the same as the ones used in the bombing on Cumhuriyet newspaper is continuing. In a statement on his relationship with Yıldırım, Tekin said that they served in the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) together for years, and that “these claims” were raised to public notice to tarnish the Turkish Army. He claimed in his statement that the event was a part of a greater scenario and that the hand grenades seized in Yıldırım’s house were unusable. The hand grenades produced by the Mechanical and Chemical Industry Corporation (MKE) were all the same, Tekin further claimed, and added, “You couldn’t obtain hand grenades from abroad. The explosives used by the Turkish Army are all the same.”

Other Titles
Click For More News