Death toll from bus crash in Antalya grows to 16

May 29, 2010, Saturday/ 17:51:00
The death toll from the crash of a bus carrying Russian tourists in Turkey on Tuesday has risen to 16 after one more passenger died at a local hospital on Thursday night, Russia’s Consul General in Antalya Mirdzhalol Khusanov announced on Friday.

“She was not physically able to travel, so Russian and Turkish doctors decided to have her stay in Antalya for medical treatment as they were drawing up the list of injured passengers to be airlifted home. The woman was in serious condition and died last night,” Khusanov said.

He also said that late on Thursday a boy injured in the bus crash was discharged from the hospital and rejoined his parents. The consul general said three injured Russians are still in clinics in Antalya.

Two more Russian passengers with minor injuries are expected to be discharged from the hospital soon. On Tuesday morning, a group of Russian tourists staying in Antalya hotels embarked on a Pegas Touristik tour to the town of Pamukkale. Their bus plunged off a 15-meter-high bridge into a river near the Antalya airport. Initial reports said 13 Russian nationals and two Turks had been killed and that another 26 had been injured in the accident.

According to the tour operator, the driver went into cardiac arrest at the wheel of the bus.

National
Other Titles
Click For More News