Turkey denies Syrian helicopter went down in border province

March 25, 2012, Sunday/ 13:00:00/ TODAYSZAMAN.COM

Turkish officials have denied reports that a Syrian helicopter went down in Birecik, a district in the southeastern Turkish province of Şanlıurfa.

Reports said early on Sunday that a Syrian helicopter went down in Birecik and that the security forces have launched a search operation to find the wreckage. Şanlıurfa Governor Celalettin Güvenç was quoted as saying by the state-run Anatolia news agency that his office did not receive any "noteworthy" information regarding the crash.

Meanwhile, based on opposition sources, Al Arabia News Channel claimed on Saturday that a Syrian pilot defied order of his superiors to bomb an area of Aleppo, where protestors gathered, and fled to Turkey after bombing a building of security forces in Aleppo.

When asked about the allegation by Today's Zaman, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Selçuk Ünal said no aircraft had entered Turkish airspace from Syria at the weekend. He also denied the claims of helicopter crash in border province, when contacted by the state-run Anatolia news agency.

As year-long crisis in Syia seems to be continued ceaseless, numbers of Syrian refugees, who fled Turkey, exceeded 17,000.

Tens of injured Syrian people seek shelter in Turkey as they are not able to go to hospitals in Syria. Regarding the lack essential medical equipment in Syrian provinces near to Turkish border, families of the injured people who were wounded during Damascus' military crackdown, brought the injured ones to Turkish border, where they have been taken by ambulances to hospitals in border provinces in Turkey.

Meanwhile, a Turkish truck driver who was severely wounded in a crossfire in Syria early March, died in southern province of Gaziantep on Sunday.

Suphi Ezer, 45, who had been in intense care unit in Gaziantep University Medical Faculty Şahinbey Research Hospital, died despite all attempts to save his life. He was brought to another hospital on March 16 and was transferred to the Research hospital, where he died, due to the severity of his situation. His corpse was sent to Hatay's Reyhanlı district, where he lived, for funeral ceremony.

Latest News
Other Titles
Click For More News