Turkey condemns Syria UN convoy bombing

May 10, 2012, Thursday/ 00:20:00

Turkey has strongly condemned a bomb attack in Syria that struck close to UN observers, saying it is Syrian regime’s responsibility to maintain the security of the UN mission.

A statement released by the Turkish Foreign Ministry on Wednesday strongly condemned the bombing in Deraa and urged Syrian regime to live up to its obligation to maintain the security of the UN observers mission.  

A roadside bomb hit a Syrian military truck on Wednesday just seconds after the head of the UN observer team drove by in a convoy, demonstrating the fragility of the international plan to end the country's bloodshed.

The attack, which the regime said wounded 10 Syrian soldiers, emphasized the limits of the international community's plan to use unarmed observers to promote a cease-fire between government troops and rebels trying to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The team of 70 UN military observers now in Syria should grow to more than 100 in the coming days. It is unclear when the full team of 300 will arrive. They are to oversee a UN-brokered cease-fire that was intended to allow for talks on a political solution to the conflict but began unraveling shortly after it was due to take effect on April 12.

The statement also underlined that Turkey is concerned over the fact that ceasefire is not being observed across the country despite six-point UN plan brokered by international mediator Kofi Annan earlier last month.

Turkey said it is obvious that the violence will not stop if Syrian troops and other elements of the regime don’t pull out of residential areas. The statement added that Turkey will closely follow if Syrian regime complies with the Annan plan.

LATEST NEWS
Other Titles
Click For More News