The Turkish Council of State attack by Alparslan Arslan on May 17, 2006, has a vital place among the cases investigating military coup attempts. This attack can be said to be a turning point in the Ergenekon case.
Yesterday, the indictment drafted within the scope of the investigation regarding the claim that “in the Council of State attack, the evidence was obfuscated by erasing the footage from the security camera” was accepted. Ten defendants, six of whom are under arrest -- and that includes former Defense and Security Systems Deputy General Manager of the Turkish Armed Forces Assistance Center (OYAK) Orhan Çoban, who was in charge of providing security at the Council of State, were charged with murder.
In the indictment, it was stated that the defendants had manipulated a security camera that had been installed on the Council of State building and had been uninstalled on the day of the attack, and that the defendants obstructed the recording of the events that occurred on the day of the attack as they hadn’t had a new security camera installed on the building. The defendants also participated in the meetings in which tampering with evidence was discussed.
In fact-finding report no.17136 regarding eavesdropping, which was included in the indictment, there is a record of a very interesting conversation between two of the defendants. One asks: “What did you do?” and the other replies: “We are working. Now, we are looking at the video images, afterwards we will delete them and, you know, destroy and eliminate them, and we are testing [the images].”
This statement explains what the supporters of Ergenekon are now trying to do with regard to all of the ongoing investigations regarding Ergenekon. By destroying and eliminating, by muddying the waters and shifting the core of these investigations, they are trying to make these investigations seem less trustworthy and prevent democratization. I have written about this before. These were the only aims of nominating Ergenekon defendants as candidates for deputy. Additionally, it was an attempt to block the judicial process by taking the defendants from the judiciary. It’s because those candidates were not indispensable for either the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) or for the Republican People’s Party (CHP). Now, honorable Devlet Bahçeli says the “public’s will should be respected, and they [Ergenekon defendants who were selected as deputies] should be released.” This isn’t right because those who were being judged for attempting a coup became deputies not as a result of the public’s will but your will.
If you hadn’t nominated them as candidates for deputy, they wouldn’t have been elected. Let’s get back to the Council of State attack. Why is this attack a vital turning point for coup attempt investigations? In the indictment, there is a very striking phrase. The indictment stated that “it was understood that on the day of the Council of State attack and afterward, news stories were published and broadcast in the media that would cause turmoil and chaos, which the Ergenekon terrorist organization desired.” Then, news headlines are mentioned: “The same hand again,” “Are you aware of the danger?” “A shot on secularism,” “We are the soldiers of God,” “The attack is against the regime,” “They declared war against the secular republic,” “The reaction of the public should be continuous”…
We shall look at the explanations of some politicians: Then-President Ahmet Necdet Sezer had once said: “Actually, this is an attack against the secular republic. Those who caused this attack [implying the government of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party)] should reconsider their attitudes.” A statement by the Committee of Rectors that gathered under the leadership of then-Head of the Higher Education Board (YÖK) Professor Dr. Erdoğan Teziç had said the fact that the attack was against the organs of the judiciary, which protects secularism, is noteworthy.
In those days when the way for the Feb.28 coup was being paved and when a basis for the closure of AK Party was being provided, there was ruthless preparation to create a chaotic atmosphere and a polarization between secular and anti-secular. When Alparslan Arslan was seized and when the Ergenekon investigations started afterwards and when the Council of State attack investigation was joined to these investigations, the supporters of military tutelage were busted very badly. You see, the third wave of the Feb. 28 operation has just occurred. The police are now detaining another unit of the junta that was in charge of providing intelligence and labeling people. I wrote about it yesterday, too. “New Turkey” means heading down a new and irreversible road. It means transferring from military tutelage to democratization.
By the way, has anyone seen Ahmet Necdet Sezer? We would like to ask him why he, as a former head of the Constitutional Court, made such an influential speech before the Council of State attack indictment was submitted to the court.